Monday, May 19, 2008

More Than One Way to Skin A Cat

Keeping in touch with your friends used to be hard work - it required paper, pen, stamps and patience. A few sheets of foolscap, a Bic pen, a stamp and there was your mass communication; I never would have dared photocopy a letter and send the same one to two different friends - how rude!

Fast forward to this moment where in a few minutes I am able to broadcast my thoughts to just about anyone who cares to read them. How Star Trek of me. Tomorrow I'll beam into your kitchen to see if you have any chili powder I can borrow, I'm all out. You know me, I never read to the end of the recipe before I start cooking, but then again, you don't love me because I'm thorough - that's my husband's trait - you love me because I am impulsive and somewhat reckless and maybe even in my wildest dreams a rebel.

So here it is, the newly-birthed blog of the Defiant Scribbler, and it comes with a teenytiny definition:

The Defiant Scribbler is: Heather Witherden, mother of three young boys who also used to spontaneously scribble as they looked over their toddler shoulders, laughing at their mother, who more often than not, would be laughing too, until she looked over HER shoulder to see her husband, who wasn't laughing. Oh dear.
Now that the small scribblers are in school, the Senior Scribbler took to the internet and reformed her letter-writing into a new electronic format, and also to the stages of small clubs and theatres and community centres wherever they'd have her. A hobby/career/dream was borne of years of tales and tears. I love alliteration and elocution, spoken-word poetry, lyrical speech and stand-up comedy.
If you're here, chances are you've met me in person, but if not, welcome to my electronic clone; you'll probably find her alternatingly sweet and sour.

3 comments:

Erica Scott said...

I am looking forward to reading all about the wonderful adventure you are on!

Shelley Marshall said...

I've got Chilli Powder!! I need lemon juice!

Heather Witherden said...

I was just at Costco and now have a seven-year supply of lemon juice!