Sunday, May 25, 2008

June is Heating Up

June never fails to disappoint - I am looking ahead to the next few weeks in awe and wonder, as in ' Aw, I wonder how I'm possibly going to do all this!'

Between kids' spring sports, recitals, school field trips, medical and dental appointments, birthdays and anniversaries, June is shaping up to be a full month. Oh, and then there are SHOWS too! And Dad's doing some stuff too, let's not forget Dad. Dad's actually running the full marathon on Father's Day, and then we'll dope him up good with Advil so he can sit through the dance recital later that afternoon.

I'm doing a show at the Charley ( Charleswood Hotel ) on June 16th and turning into a makeshift birthday party. My real birthday celebration will probably take place alongside my friend Marni, who is also turning 40 this year, and who has organized a big lawn party shindig to take place in a couple of weeks. I've been thinking about what gift to get her, even though she said no gifts. I would love to write her a tribute since she's been such an awesome friend for so long. I started jotting down some ideas today. The present I'm getting for my birthday is a trip to Las Vegas - my first time! I've got tickets for Bette Midler's 'Showgirl' show and also Cirque Du Soleil. Rick's coming along and while we're there we'll kill two birds with one stone and celebrate our 20th anniversary.

It's teacher-gift season too, once again and I have been rather lax about organizing anything at school for the past several months. Next year I'll know better than to sign myself up to be class rep for two classes. Their teachers have been great though, and I'll try to come up with something that the kids can do to help show their appreciation.

With the twins' birthday and my birthday happening day after each other, mid-June is always a scramble to find time and energy to get a party together. Honestly my birthday has mostly fallen by the wayside, but usually there are a few girlfriends who will take me out for lunch, and that's the best kind of celebration anyway. Love every one of those girls! There are many days I would quite willingly just move into a kibbutz with all my gals and live in a matriarchal society. I hope I'm wearing off enough on my boys for them to turn into decent men.
Stuart made me laugh yesterday, like he does almost every day. We went to see Indiana Jones 4, the new movie, and we applauded at the end, but we were the only ones in the theatre clapping. He turned around and looked at the rest of the people and said, ' This is a movie theatre, not a jury!' Hahahha.. what could be funnier than an 8 yr old boy.

We're still hustling Avery to basketball games and Cadets until the end of June too, and then it will all come to an abrupt end. I do tend to dread the 'free' days of summer, only because having your kids home for summer holidays is a bit like taking a vacation with your boss. It's no vacation for me. As much as I enjoy spending time with my kids, I need to make a concentrated effort to split them up because they're like dogs, and they tend to turn on each other after too long together. One minute they're play fighting and the next minute it turns out that the growling and biting is quite real. Then I threaten them with the two words they fear most - Day Care.

The plan is to take them out to the woods as much as possible this summer - even if that means I have to suck up my extraordinary dislike of confined sleeping arrangements. Most other things about camping I can cope with, but having to listen to my husband bark orders in a nylon house just about pushes me over the edge. I would quite willingly get lost in the forest for a day if it meant I had peace and quiet.

I can't even commit to the next sentence, so I backspaced and deleted it. I was about to say I was going to start a cleanse, but I am so fearful of giving up foods I love and am used to using for comfort. It truly is addictive behaviour when you look at it. I have to change the way I eat if I hope to make any inroads on my weight problem. * Sigh *

Last night I saw RUSH and I think Geddy Lee is my new weight loss idol. He is so energetic and full of life and in good shape for a man in his 50s. Not to mention he is doing what he loves.
I'm really tired right now so this may not have been the most 'together' blog, but at least you can see what's lying ahead of me for the next few weeks. I'll keep writing, if only to draw up some ideas for the show on June 16th.

No comments: