Friday, May 30, 2008

Carrie Samantha Miranda Charlotte

I went to the new ' Sex and the City' movie last night - opening night, and the question popped up: Which character are you most like?

Well, how about NONE of them?
Do I wear shoes by Manolo? No, they're from PayLess. My most expensive shoes are NewBalance runners in a 9 extra wide.

Do I sleep with random guys on a regular basis? Believe me, I'd tell you if I did. I ogle stroller-daddies sometimes, with their ironic tees and 2-day growth, but that's it.

Do I regret the glass ceiling restrictions on my career? No, but I regret the way Windex wipes leave streaks when they're not supposed to.

Do I have live in the lap of luxury with a Jewish husband? OY. No, I don't.

So, I have to ask myself what's so compelling about these characters? Well, first of all, they're characters.. extremes of several aspects of any woman's life. The desire for understanding and communication, the desire for sexual connection, the desire for personal achievement, the desire for family and harmony.

As long as there are women like me who are moving forward, there will be audiences for shows with fabulous characters like the Sex and The City girls.
I'm going to watch it again when it comes out on DVD, and if I'm at home, I'll just wear sweatpants and Crocs - way less pressure.

No comments: