Wednesday, July 3, 2013

I Don't Normally Do This

I'm about to be shamed. Feel the white hot heat of the glares and disappointment of my friends when I admit: I sometimes eat at McDonald's.

And, when I went to (the sophisticated continent of) Europe, I also ate at McDonald's.

I enjoyed it.  I took pictures of my experience, like a true North American country bumpkin.

Look, y'all, the McDonald's is DIFFERENT here! They have different menu items! Different furniture!  It's so.. different!

It's also the same: it's familiar, it's cheap and it's reliable, which is why we ate several breakfasts and a few roadstop lunches at McD's while in Germany.  To add to the fun, our son now works at McDonald's in Canada so we felt the need to offer our opinion on what we thought was actually done better in Europe (everything's better in Europe, right?)

First of all, Bacon McMuffin, hello, where have you been all my life?  Send that 2 bit floozy Egg McMuffin to the trash bin!  This is your Egg McMuffin, minus the watery ham circle, plus crispy bacon. That is a win not to be missed.

Second, McCafé is a REAL CAFE guys!  A separate space apart from the lowly soda-drinking rabble, with real espresso, cappucino and outright fuckin' cake. I said it. You can get cake and coffee in a McCafé, like a decent human being. Real cake, on a real porcelain plate. Yum.

Third point, there's weird stuff we don't have here. Western Sauce! That's BBQ for all you 'mericans, but in Europe, it's called 'Western', as in John Wayne sidled over and squirted awesome onto your Big Extra. Oh yeah, that still exists in God's country, over there.  As does the McVicky Tzatziki, a donair-style sandwich, the McPietsmiet, the McGoerki, and a few other choices.  My favourite though has to be the Café Breakfast, which is coffee and a couple of fresh-baked bread rolls with 4 of your favourite spreads. My favourites were butter, strawberry jam, honig ( German for honey) and NUTELLA. You know someone loves you when they let you eat chocolate hazelnut icing on your toast in the morning, guys.

So there it is, I went over the ocean, on a plane, went to one of the world's finest cities, Berlin, and ate at McDonald's. La La La La La!

1 comment:

Manic Expressive said...

I am still proud that I went to the first McDonald's that opened in Russia in Moscow. It's the little things...:)